EASY KETO CHICKEN, AVOCADO AND BACON SALAD
Easy Keto Chicken Avocado and Bacon Salad with Yoghurt, Mustard and Tarragon Dressing. 8g net carbs.
Protein filled and loaded with healthy fats and fresh greens, this is a quick main meal that’s full of wholesome ingredients and tastes superb. Inspired by Mary Berry, who uses leftover roast chicken meat for her recipe. It’s a clever way to utilise surplus cooked meat. But if you don’t have any, just pan-fry chicken pieces in a little extra virgin olive oil (or tallow, ghee or butter) with herbs and spices. Voilá. Prepare the yoghurt and tarragon dressing and use it to marinate the chicken overnight. Then it’s just a case of cooking the bacon, toasting some seeds and assembling the dish.
Although this recipe provides a substantial main course, smaller portions would make a great side dish, or a delicious lunchbox feast. Want to know how easy it is to prepare it? Read on…
Wholesome Ingredients for a Wholesome Plate of Food
I can’t get enough of bacon. And I’m unashamedly happy to admit it. Unless it’s part of a fry-up involving industrial cooking oils, there’s nothing unhealthy about it, especially if it comes from pasture-reared pigs. So, please gimme more
And who doesn’t love chicken? Again, free-to-roam outdoors, organically raised chickens deliver the most succulent meat. More expensive, yes, but oh so worth it, both for their welfare and for your palate.
Avocado is the king of keto fruits. Yep, it’s a fruit. Actually, it would be technically more accurate to call it a seed. Whatever. It’s amazing and highly nutritious, with all its mono-unsaturated fatty acids, fibre, potassium and other minerals. Its creamy texture can be a bit unpalatable on its own, but add it to salads or meat and it’s a different experience altogether.
Rocket, lettuce, lemon juice, yoghurt and fresh herbs inject nutrients with yet more health benefits. And pumpkin seeds are the icing on the cake. Vitamins, minerals antioxidants, fibre and Omega 3s. What is there not to love?
This Easy Keto Chicken Avocado and Bacon Salad is a real power-house of nutrients. An explosion of flavours that will leave you happy and satiated.
- make the dressing by mixing yoghurt, lemon juice, chopped tarragon, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar and paprika, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- if you don’t have pre-cooked chicken, pan-fry breast/thigh strips in a little olive oil with herbs and seasoning, let cool, then add to the dressing and stir until evenly coated.
- cover with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- cook bacon or pancetta until crisp and set aside over kitchen paper to cool down, then snip into pieces.
- toast pumpkin seeds and slice avocado.
- to assemble, arrange lettuce leave over 2 serving plates, top with rocket leaves, then add chicken, avocado slices and bacon pieces.
- sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and serve.