LOW CARB FENNEL PURÉE
Low Carb Fennel Purée is super quick, easy and totally keto-friendly, with just over 1g net carbs per serving.
However, it is a bit like marmite. If you like fennel, with its subtle aniseed flavour, you’ll totally love this. Otherwise, you’ll absolutely hate it.
I’m 100% in camp love it. So I thought it was time to share an alternative to the usual cauliflower or broccoli mash. Which are fine, by the way. Just not ALL the time. And the best thing is that, if you add some stock broth, this Low Carb Fennel Purée can easily turn into a delightful keto soup. Perfect for the colder evenings that are fast approaching.
How to Make Low Carb Fennel Purée
To prepare the fennel, cut away the stalks and slice 1 cm off the base. The leaves are tightly curled, so make a cut in the middle of the first outer leaf starting at the top and all the way to the base. Prise it off. Do the same for the second outer leaf. Discard both of them, trim the base a bit more, then wash and pat dry your bulb. Now all you have to do is quarter it and cut thin slices across.
Melt some butter in a small saucepan, pour in the sliced fennel and salt. Stir. Lid on. Let it sweat for 5 minutes over medium high heat. Then add cream, stir, lid back on and simmer for about 15 minutes until the fennel feels soft when you stir it. It will take 15-20 minutes depending on how thinly you sliced it. Take off the heat, remove the lid and let moisture evaporate as it cools.
Finally, transfer the whole thing to a food processor or use an immersion (stick) blender and blitz until you obtain a smooth cream.
Re-heat and enjoy!
You can save this recipe or any recipe you ♥ to your Yummly collection. Scroll past the recipe box and you’ll see the button ↓
LOW CARB FENNEL PURÉE
Author: Antya – queenketo.com
- Serving: ⅓
- Calories: 220
- Fat: 23g
- Net Carbs: 1.3g
- Protein: 1g
Recipe type: Side Dishes
Cuisine: Ketogenic. Low Carb. LCHF. Grain Free. Gluten Free.
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (200g net – stalks, bottom and outer layer removed)
- 20g salted butter
- 100g double cream
- ⅛ tsp fine Himalayan pink salt (U.S. option HERE)
- cut off and discard stalks and fronds; slice 1cm off the base; remove and discard 2 outer leaves; trim the base a bit more; wash and pat dry; slice into quarters then across, very thinly.
- place butter in small pot, melt it, then add sliced fennel and let it sweat, lid on, for 5 mins.
- add cream and salt, stir, put the lid back on, and simmer 15 mins until soft, stirring occasionally.
- take off the heat, uncover and let the moisture evaporate as it cools.
- blitz to a smooth purée using a food processor or stick blender (U.S. option HERE).
- re-heat and serve, or store refrigerated in a sealed container until ready to use.
To turn it into a soup, simply add stock broth (chicken works best) until you get your desired consistency, and adjust seasoning.
The only way to ensure accurate measurement of ingredients is with Metric Kitchen Scales (U.S. option HERE).