LOW CARB KETO & SUGAR FREE HAZELNUT MERINGUE ROULADE
Low Carb Keto & Sugar Free Hazelnut Meringue Roulade. 1.2g net carb per slice. A real KETO showstopper that looks incredibly difficult but is actually incredibly easy.
Bored of cheesecake and sponge cakes? Tired of muffins and cupcakes? Fudge and brownies not cutting it? Looking for something that looks stunning, tastes amazing and doesn’t require a lot of time and effort? I got you covered.
This Low Carb Keto & Sugar Free Hazelnut Meringue Roulade is light, moist, crunchy, super flavoursome and simply delicious.
If meringue scares you, let me assure you that this one is a walk in the park. No-fail guaranteed. And I’ll let you in on a secret ;). I have, on one occasion, managed to somehow deflate the meringue before baking it, yet the end result was still amazing. You really can’t go wrong with this recipe.
How to Make Low Carb Keto & Sugar Free Hazelnut Meringue Roulade
A few basic ingredients are all it takes to create this stunning dessert. If you have egg whites, cream, hazelnuts and hazelnut paste (butter), you’re almost there. This utterly decadent dessert is effortless and uncomplicated. All you have to do is whip the egg whites, fold in the nuts, bake, then slather the hazelnut cream and shape.
The only recommendation I have is about the hazelnuts and hazelnut paste. Firstly, do not use salted nuts. Secondly, make sure you roast the nuts, or buy them already roasted but check that no oils were added in the process. The best hazelnuts in the world are from the Piedmont area in Italy and they’re called ‘Nocciole Piemonte’. You may also find them under the names ‘Trilobata’ or ‘Tonda Gentile’. They are grown in a specific area, in specific soil and weather conditions that give them a uniquely sweet and intense flavour. These are truly superior hazelnuts. So much so that they have been given IGP certification, meaning that their quality and provenance are guaranteed.
Choosing the best hazelnuts is paramount. Inferior quality nuts will not produce the same delicious results. Genuine Piedmont hazelnuts are not cheap, but definitely worth the price. Once you’ve tasted them, you will know why they are the best.
If you want a luxurious dessert, that’s easy, simple, light, and exquisite, make my Low Carb Keto & Sugar Free Hazelnut Meringue Roulade. You’ll love it!
- pre-heat oven to 170°C fan (190°C static)
- whisk room temperature egg whites until they start to foam, incorporate 70g Sukrin icing ‘sugar’ (1/2 at a time), cream of tartar and vanilla extract; stop whipping when glossy peaks form as you lift the whisk.
- gently fold in hazelnuts, being careful not to deflate the mixture.
- spread on a baking tray lined with non-stick paper or a baking mat such as THIS ONE (U.S. option HERE), forming a 23cm x 34cm (circa) rectangle – I used a heavy duty Masterclass Baking Tray.
- bake for 8 minutes, then lower the temperature to 140C fan (160C static) and continue to bake for another 8-10 minutes, until golden.
- remove meringue from oven, invert it over a sheet of parchment paper, and leave it while you prepare the filling.
- whip the very cold cream in a chilled mixing bowl until firm.
- mix hazelnut paste/butter with 30g Sukrin icing ‘sugar’, then combine it with the whipped cream.
- spread the hazelnut cream over the meringue, and roll the short side (use the parchment paper as an aid) to create a log.
- mix 1 tsp icing ‘sugar’ with 1 tsp cocoa powder and sprinkle all over the top using a small sieve.
- keep refrigerated until ready to serve.