ULTIMATE KETO HOT BREAKFAST PORRIDGE
Ultimate Keto Hot Breakfast Porridge is SUGAR-FREE, LOW-CARB, LOW-CALORIE and VEGAN. Once you’ve tasted it, you won’t miss rolled oats ever again. Who needs oatmeal anyway, when you can have a far better breakfast alternative?
This satisfying bowl of goodness contains just 3g net carbs and is ridiculously healthy. All thanks to the wonderful whole foods that make this perfect creature. And it IS perfect. Just look at the macros in the recipe and you’ll see on point keto ratios.
But the icing on the cake is that this hot cereal replacement isn’t just great as it is. You can customise it in plenty of ways, with many different ingredients. Keep reading and you’ll see a few suggestions that might stimulate your imagination.
And if you’re not a breakfast person, you can always enjoy it as a wholesome, guilt-free dessert. Like I do. Because we can.
Is Porridge Healthy?
Porridge is a staple breakfast food pretty much everywhere in the world and its origins appear to go as far back as the Stone Age. In the UK, porridge is made with oatmeal.
We all know that oatmeal – called hot cereal by our American friends, is supposed to be a healthy way to start the day. Several postprandial studies have confirmed stable glucose and insulin response to eating breakfast porridge made with oats. So it’s touted as the breakfast of choice for diabetics.
But not so fast. This starchy mush is extremely high in carbohydrates. Therefore, rolled oats, groat, gruel, hot cereal, or however you prefer to call it, is a big fat NO in the low carb, keto and LCHF world.
Amazing Whole Foods for the Ultimate Keto Hot Breakfast Porridge.
Now, my friends, you can feast on this keto-friendly creation that mimics the original, but without the carbs!!!
Check out this amazing ingredients list! Almonds. Chia seeds. Hemp Seed Hearts. Coconut Flour. Psyllium, Hemp Seed Milk. I carefully selected each single item and proportion so that I would achieve the right flavour with the right keto macros. As well as good levels of healthy PUFAs (no need to fear them, as long as they are not from processed oils), Magnesium, Calcium and Potassium. I even used psyllium to imitate the viscous texture that is synonymous with a good porridge..
This magic bowl of goodness is more than a mere Porridge look-a-like. It’s a nutritional powerhouse!!!!
Don’t like plain porridge? How about incorporating these..not all at once
- A few blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, mulberries. Maybe even a couple of chopped peach slices, if the carbs are within your personal limit. Or… how about a dollop of pumpkin purée?
- Crumbled nuts such as macadamias, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, even pistachios (but be conservative with these). My favourite? Sliced blanched almonds, (UK option HERE) after toasting them until golden and fragrant. They add a lovely crunch and make my Ultimate Keto Hot Breakfast Porridge even more sublime. You could also add some coconut flakes, perhaps not for crunch, but certainly for a good mandible workout.
- Ground flaxseeds don’t always agree with my digestion, but if they don’t bother you, why not? A bit of extra fibre can only be good. Add a teaspoon to the concoction and see if you like the result.
- A little sweetener will make a big difference. My preference? Sukrin Fibersirup Gold. It isn’t a very strong sweetener, but it adds an amazing caramel-like flavour that is just sublime. It does contain some carbs, so don’t go mad with it. Add a pinch of pure stevia powder (UK option HERE) to increase its sweeteness, if you must.
Don’t like or can’t get hemp seed milk? You have other options.
- Coconut Milk. Either shop-bought or home-made. Click HERE for my easy tutorial.
- Almond Milk. Hazelnut Milk. Any other low-carb, unsweetened ‘milk’ you like.
- Water. Yep! Not quite as flavoursome, but it’s an option if you’re watching your calorie intake.
It’s pretty obvious that any changes and/or additions will mean that you’ll have to recalculate the macros. And remember to take it easy with berries and nuts. But you know… live the dream and all that….
I’m not a breakfast person at all, so I’m off to enjoy my steaming hot bowl of Ultimate Keto Hot Breakfast Porridge in a few minutes (almost 9:30pm over here). While I watch the final of “Celebrity Masterchef”. In my PJs. Snuggled under a warm blanket. Sheer bliss!
- *take 1 TBSP (13g) of chia seeds and place it in your coffee grinder/nutribullet/whatever you use; pulse 3-4 times until powdery; use 1 TBSP (6g) of the powdered chia – store the rest in a sealed jar away from sunlight.
- weigh all dry ingredients, whisk, and set aside.
- heat milk to boiling point, either on the hob or in the microwave, then add dry ingredients and whisk mmediately to prevent lumps.
- leave to bloom for a couple of minutes.
- add your preferred sweetener (optional) and enjoy on its own or with a sprinkle of toasted sliced almonds, a few berries, some toasted coconut flakes, or anything else you decide.