Ultimate Low-Carb Keto Pot Roast Recipe
Looking for warm, hearty meals that keep you strong during the cold weather months? Well, you’ve come to the right place. This keto pot roast recipe is a winner for anyone craving satisfying comfort food on a low-carb diet.
It’s a savory and filling meal, perfect to prep ahead of time and enjoy throughout the week. It’s also incredibly healthy and loaded with nutrients to keep a cold or flu at bay through the winter months.
This low-carb dish can be made in a slow cooker or Instant Pot, and below you’ll find instructions for each method. Pair with your favorite low-carb side dish for a comforting, flavorful, and keto-friendly meal.
How to Make Keto Pot Roast
The use of a slow cooker makes this recipe incredibly easy to prepare. All you need to do is combine all the ingredients in your Crock-Pot, set the temperature to low, and let your pot roast cook itself for about eight hours.
Alternatively, you could use a pressure cooker, or Instant Pot, to speed up the process. With a pressure cooker, the cook time goes from eight hours to under an hour and a half. You’ll simply combine all your ingredients in the cooker and set the pressure to high heat. You can then “set it and forget it” as the machine does the work for you.
Ingredients for Keto Pot Roast
The main ingredients in this low-carb recipe include:
- Grass-fed beef chuck roast
- Bone broth
- Grass-fed butter
You may also want to serve this pot roast with a side of cauliflower mash (a keto-friendly substitute for mashed potatoes) or low-carb mac and cheese. Of course, you can check out the Perfect Keto recipe library for comfort food side dishes.
FAQs for Keto Slow Cooker Pot Roast
If it’s your first time making a low-carb pot roast, you may have a few questions. These tips and tricks should help set you up for success.
- What kind of broth should be used? Bone broth is the most flavorful and nutritious, and is therefore recommended. Feel free to check out this recipe for chicken bone broth and use beef bones to transform it into beef broth.
- Can you substitute any of the veggies in this recipe? Of course you can. While rutabaga, turnips, and celery are used, you can use any low-carb vegetables such as radishes, celeriac root, mushrooms, or onions.
- Can this recipe be made dairy-free? Yes. You can substitute the butter in this recipe for olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil.
- Can this slow cooker pot roast be made in a Dutch oven instead? Yes, you can use a Dutch oven, but it will take far more monitoring. Plus, it will impact the cooking time.
- What’s the carb count for this recipe? If you look at the nutrition facts below, you’ll see this recipe contains just 6 grams of net carbs per serving size — making it perfect for the keto diet. Plus, it’s paleo-friendly, gluten-free, and sugar-free.
Health Benefits of This Keto Pot Roast
This low-carb recipe is incredibly easy to prepare. As an added benefit — or benefits, more accurately — the ingredients could potentially ward off cancer, reduce inflammation, and support your immune system.
#1. Helps Fight Against Cancer
This keto pot roast recipe is an excellent deterrent against various diseases, with the most significant being cancer. The ingredients in this roast have been found to help support the body’s defenses against cancer.
Both grass-fed beef and grass-fed butter provide powerful anti-cancer properties. While grain-fed cattle can provide nutritional benefits, grass-fed cattle provide higher concentrations of many vital nutrients due to their healthier organic diet. For example, compared to standard grain-fed beef, grass-fed beef has higher amounts of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), antioxidants, and vitamins that all aid in fighting cancer[*][*][*][*].
Don’t forget about the vegetables included in this roast. Celery, turnips, rutabaga, and onions all have anti-cancer properties. Celery has compounds that not only help prevent cancer, such as polyacetylenes, but also contains apigenin, a flavonoid shown to help kill cancer cells[*][*].
Turnips and rutabagas also contain powerful cancer-preventing compounds called glucosinolates. Studies have shown that these are powerful natural cancer-preventing nutrients[*][*][*][*].
#2. High in Antioxidants and Reduces Inflammation
One of the most common underlying causes of various diseases is inflammation in the body. That’s why it’s so important to incorporate foods into your diet that counteract and prevent inflammation. The ingredients in this roast do that and then some.
Bone broth helps your body reduce inflammation in numerous ways. A few compounds it contains include chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine (which have been shown to primarily reduce inflammation in the joints), as well as glycine (a powerful antioxidant). Additionally, the gelatin in bone broth helps to heal and protect the lining of the gut (aka leaky gut syndrome) which helps reduce intestinal inflammation[*][*][*].
Grass-fed butter can help to increase your butyric acid levels, which is shown to decrease inflammation in those suffering from autoimmune diseases[*].
Finally, celery contains antioxidants such as phenolic acids and quercetin that aid in anti-inflammatory results throughout the body[*].
#3. Supports Immunity
The ingredients in this low-carb pot roast help boost your immunity, which is crucial when heading into peak cold and flu season.
The gut is your most important immune-fighting system, and when you have a healthy gut your body is able to defend against illness and disease. The incredible properties and collagen found in bone broth helps to heal any existing damage to your gut, improve intestinal lining, and give a much needed boost to your immunity overall[*].
Both turnips and rutabagas contain high amounts of vitamin C, which is crucial for your immunity and preventing illness. By supplementing your diet with healthy levels of vitamin C, your body can effectively produce white blood cells essential to fighting bacteria and disease[*].
Enjoy This Keto Pot Roast Through the Cold Winter Months
This easy keto pot roast doesn’t require any fancy equipment. Plus, it contains absolutely no prep time. If you transform your keto pot roast into an Instant Pot recipe, it will go from prep-to-plate in a total time of just 80 minutes.
For this ketogenic recipe, you don’t need to sear, deglaze, or saute anything. Simply gather your ingredients, toss them into your slow cooker, Instant Pot, or other pressure cooker, and let these incredible ingredients blend together into a hearty meal for the autumn or winter season. This low-carb pot roast will warm and strengthen your body from the inside out.
Ultimate Low-Carb Keto Pot Roast
This keto-friendly slow cooker recipe requires minimal prep and offers loads of flavor and nutrition. Get ready for a delicious dish that will warm you up during the colder months.
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- Category: Dinner
- One 5-pound grass-fed boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- 4–6 cups bone broth
- 1 stick grass-fed butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Add everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred with a fork, then serve and enjoy.
If making in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker:
- Place roast and all other ingredients in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- Close the lid and make sure the pressure release is sealed and not on venting.
- Set timer for 80 minutes on high pressure.
- Allow pressure to naturally disperse for 20 minutes, then set the pressure release to venting.
- Once pressure has been released, shred the roast with two forks.
- Serve as a main course with a side of cauliflower mash and enjoy.
- Calories: 627
- Fat: 28.7g
- Carbohydrates: 9g (Net Carbs: 6g)
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 79.9g
Keywords: keto pot roast
The post Ultimate Low-Carb Keto Pot Roast Recipe appeared first on Perfect Keto.